Marriage Visa in Chiang Mai

Marriage Visa in Chiang Mai

If you have a

Marriage Visa in Chiang Mai

 Thai wife or a Thai husband then you can apply for a Thai “O” visa. With the location of Chiang Mai many decide once they have registered their marriage in Chiang Mai to cross the border into Laos and obtain a Thai marriage visa in Laos. These are the documents needed and also the documents that Thai Immigration in Chiang Mai will require to extend the 90 day visa to a 1 year visa. You can also do this at any Thai immigration office be it in Pattaya or in Phuket or where most are done – in Bangkok

The Thai embassy in Laos will not issue a multiple entry marriage visa but will only issue you with a 3 month marriage visa. They do check the passport to see if you have been issued a visa before and will then either deny the visa or give you a note to state that they will not issue another visa to your in Laos. The visa rules have become very strict over the last 5 years and each Thai embassy in the region have their own set of rules. You will need the following documents:

  • Copy of you Thai marriage certificate when you registered you marriage in Thailand;
  • Copy of your passport;
  • Copy of your wife’s Thai ID card;
  • Copy of your wife Tabien Baan or her House Papers;
  • Copy of birth certificates of any children you might have;
  • Copy of your bank book (Varies from embassy to embassy)

These are the documents needed for the visa application  process. Certain embassies in Asia wish to see the copy of your bank book before they issue you with a Thai marriage visa. Other embassies want to see copies of your child/children’s birth certificates if they are Thai. They tend to be more lenient when you have Thai children at the embassies. Once you have this visa and you enter Thailand you now have 90 days to extend the visa. Note that the process takes 3 weeks so don’t wait for the last minute. The next step you need to provide the same documents gain plus the following documents:

  • Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 Thai Baht or
  • Copy of your bank book showing an income of 40,000 Thai Baht per month
  • Copy of a road map to your residency;
  • Photos of you and your wife together.

Once this is submitted you need to wait about 3 weeks to have it completed. You can speak to the immigration attorney at our offices in Chiang Mai for more information and assistance. Note you can also have a combination of deposit and income in your Thai bank account. Speak to us today for more help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *